One of our family favorites. Great with homemade broth or your favorite store bought. Check out the video for full instructions on how to make broth, soup & dumplings! One pot of soup goes a long way & makes great leftovers. Additional dumplings can be made and added to the soup when reheating if desired.
Chicken & Dumpling Soup
- Stock Pot
- Mixing Bowls
For the Broth
- Bones and skin from 1 chicken
- Enough water to cover bones
- salt to taste
- 1 Large onion sliced
- 4 Celery stalks
- 3 Cloves garlic
- Herbs including: tarragon thyme, rosemary, parsley, etc.
For the Soup
- 1 to 2 Cups celery
- 1 Large onion
- 1 to 2 Cups carrot
- 3 Cloves garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Cooked chicken meat
- Optional additions - cabbage greens, spinach or kale, additional herbs
For the Dumplings
- 2 1/4 Cups All purpose flour
- 3 Duck or 4 chicken eggs
- 3/4 Cup water
- Remove meat from bones and add to pot along with water, salt, onion, garlic, herbs and celery over meduim-high heat.
- Once the water begins to boil, reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 2 to 8 hours stirring occasionally. The longer you simmer the better the broth!
- Remove broth from heat source and strain through a mesh strainer or cheesecloth into a clean pot. While the broth is cooking prepare the soup ingredients. Chop celery, carrots, garlic and onion and sauté in lard or butter.
- Combine broth, vegetables and chicken over medium high heat. Add additional herbs and salt to taste.
- Prepare dumplings. Combine flour, eggs and water in a medium sized mixing bowl. Dough should be sticky - add more flour or water if needed (watch our how to video for tips!)
- Bring soup to a low boil. Drop dumpling dough in one small scoop at a time. Dough will sink and then come to the surface as they cook
- Bring soup to a low boil. Drop dumpling dough in one small scoop at a time. Dough will sink and then come to the surface as they cook. Add greens & enjoy!