We’re often asked what the easiest way is to prepare a whole chicken. The oven roasting method is what we use most often but this recipe can also be used for a smoker or grill if you have the ability to control temperature.
Using our Chicken Rub takes the guess work out of how much salt and which seasonings to use but don’t be afraid to mix up your own blend by following the instructions below! Wondering what to do with the leftovers after enjoying your roasted chicken? Check out our recipe and instructional video for making chicken & dumpling soup!
Oven Roasted Chicken
- Oven, Grill, or Smoker
- Large Baking Dish
- Preheat oven to 325 or 300 if using convection.
- Season liberally with chicken rub (or salt and herbs), making sure to get under the skin between the leg and breast.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes (all day or overnight is even better).
- Place chicken in baking dish, breast side up and coat skin with lard or cooking oil.
- Bake for 1½ hours and then turn the chicken over, breast side down.
- Bake for an additional 1½ hours or until leg joints are loose and skin is crisp.